Thursday

2012 Writing Goals

After enjoying the responses to my previous post and looking through other writer's articles I tried to decide on a few realistic goals.  I wanted to set attainable goals in order to challenge myself, but not so hard as to become discouraged.  Here is what I've settled on:

  • Finish writing and editing of my NaNoWriMo 2011 novel before NaNoWriMo 2012
  • Write one short story a month
  • Submit one short story a month
  • Write one piece of flash fiction a month
  • Submit one piece of flash fiction a month
  • Regular posts at least three times a week on this blog
  • Maintain at least 1000 words/day of fiction
  • Read 26 new books this year.  Low I know, but like I said I don't want to over commit
I'll see how this goes with my crazy schedule, it may need to be adjusted.  I think these are fair goals though.  I need the push without feeling overwhelmed.  Feel free to leave a comment with your goals or post a link.  I love seeing other writers lists.

4 comments:

Martha Bechtel said...

I'm still hammering out my own goals for this year, but for the moment I'm going with: post seven serial short stories (a post every Monday 6am), do Script Frenzy in April (Graphic Novel), do Camp NaNoWriMo in June and August (eight Short Stories each), and the traditional NaNoWriMo in November (Novel).

My goal is to learn how to finish things this year—which is why I'm saving my 'revise NaNo novels' for bit further down the learning curve. *grin*

If you'd like, there's a thread over on the Life After NaNo subforums for folks looking to do 1k a day in February and March. I'm going to give it a go, but I'm counting words from all projects instead of sticking to one. (http://nanowrimo.org/en/forums/life-after-nanowrimo/threads/49139)

Alternately, if you're like me and working your way up to 1k, there is #WIP500 (http://www.caramichaels.com/defiantlyliterate/wip500/), 750words.com, and Novel_in_90.LiveJournal.com. :)

Sean said...

Thanks for sharing your goals Martha. I didn't realize there were two camp NaNoWriMo's a year. I may have to try them this year. I'll check out the Life after NaNo thread, thanks.

Fairy Dharawat said...

Dear Sean, Your goals sound way cool. I like to write, but to do that with a day job is tiring. It is inspiring that you manage it like wow. I maintain two blogs where I write twice(am starting out,this is 5th month)and thought will start with nanowrimo...but seeing the dedication required, may be i will push it next year...and take on smaller goals like short story for a month, and speed up my writing and thinking abilities.

Thanks for sharing
Regards

Sean said...

Keep in mind there are two Camp NaNoWriMo's. One is in June this year, the other in August. So, if you have time, it would give you a great idea of what NaNoWriMo is like. I had a lot of fun, but it is also work...lots and lots of work. It sounds like you have the desire to write, so think about setting the time aside this summer to try it. Really, all any of us can do if write in the time we can find.

Post a Comment

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
make custom gifts at Zazzle